Thursday, October 4, 2012

Family Happiness

Tonight's blog title is also the title of a Leo Tolstoy novella about a married couple. Young woman, older man, she thinks she wants the single city life - not the bucolic married life - and doesn't realize how unfulfilling that life is until it is too late...

Luckily this was not the case for me. When I met David, I knew he was too good to pass up. I knew this because it was the right time in my life to meet him. I was mature enough to handle a successful relationship. I had grown up through the friendships and trials of previous relationships.

And when we started hanging out, everything else in life just got better. My life seemed happier. My family seemed happier. I don't know how he affected them too -- or maybe my perception changed? I feel like I not only got a greater return on my own family, but I also inherited a brand new, very large family. The Johnstons are close knit and loyal. For instance, my mother-in-law still meets up with the girls from her Brownie troop every year for a beach vacation filled with food and gossip. Who is awesome enough to do that? I have one friend still from grammar school, two from high school, three from college...

Today my mother came over to babysit while I went to my last postnatal appointment and ran some chores. I chose an OB at North Fulton Hospital, so I won't miss the frequency of the long drive, but I do actually like the chance to get OTP. It gave me reason to make other stops like shopping at Hobby Lobby or having lunch with Jason on the way home. Once you're in the city, you're stuck. It's gotta be good to fight the connector traffic and travel on at least three highways to get somewhere. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to live in the suburbs again. I'd like to buy a big house near both my dad and Dave's parents with an in-law suite my mother can live in. Wouldn't that be nice!

Little Walter, it turns out, is a stinker who naps and plays and eats like an angel with my mother. With me? It's all fuss and games! I think that's just the way it goes with little boys, their mothers, and their nanas. I missed him. Dave and I are going to the Braves Wild Card game tomorrow night too. It is so strange to be away from my sweet son after spending the last 10 months connected to him, first in pregnancy and then in exclusive breastfeeding. Growing up certainly is a process of independence and reconnection. The older I get, the closer I want to be to my family (and really good friends) after spending years wanting to separate from them.

Dave's family all came in town for Frank's 70th and will be here again for Christmas. It is so much fun to spend time with them. My family will all be here (including the Europeans but minus Brigitte) at the end of this month. What a joy to be able to spend quality time with family! I am a lucky girl these last few days, months, years...and on into the future too.

Goodnight. It is late, my baby is sleeping, and I should be too. Even with all my fun grown up things to do. Maybe a bowl of cereal first though...

No comments:

Post a Comment