Friday, October 19, 2012

Crib Magic

I hope that writing this doesn't jinx anything. For the past three nights, Walt has slept exactly like I wanted him to... in his crib, of course. He wakes up every four hours (twice per night) to eat, then goes right back to bed. This is amazing for us. I wake up for his 2am feeding, then Dave gets up at six to feed him, put him back to bed, and get ready for work, allowing me to sleep some more. Of course, I have to get up to pump, but that alone takes much less time than nursing and pumping. Hopefully Walt likes this arrangement too until he's ready to sleep through the night completely!

It started when my mother came to spend the night. Walt had been sleeping in his crib during the day for the past two weeks (just made more since if I wanted to get chores done or use my bedroom, plus his room is so nice I was ready to use it some!). This worked out pretty great except dividing his stuff between two rooms was a little burdensome, having to switch it every morning and night. Anyway, he slept like an angel for my mother (Why is it that babies love to be so good for their grandparents? Showing off, I think). Dave and I decided to try it again the next night, since previously he had slept great til 2am then would be up every hour or two after that when he was in the pack 'n play in our room. Well, it turns out he wants a real mattress and some peace and quiet to sleep well.

We miss him!!! I have to go all the way upstairs to check on him and look at him sleeping so cutely. Petra is incredibly happy to be allowed back into our room at night (and during the day, for that matter). She lives on our bed half the time and is such a cuddle monster that she was going a little crazy being left alone outside with only Frances to console her.

We've also been very social this week, going on play dates and to grandparents' houses. He's been so good in the car and out and about that it's really exciting... though I have to remember he's still very little. Last night, after spending most of two days away from home, he was definitely over-tired. I think I'll keep him at home mostly this next week until my brother comes in town. I haven't seen David in a year and a half! He and his family live in Europe and I miss them so very much. I've only seen them once in the last 3 1/2 years since they moved back over there. Dave is 15 years older than me and always wanted to live in Europe, so it was perfect when he met his bride 10 years ago in Germany. They lived over there when they first got married, but his job back then brought him to Atlanta and the US every month. It was wonderful. I also got to visit them twice a year. Now that I have to buy my own plane tickets I haven't been able to visit in a long time. He's one of my favorite people in all the world, so it's good when we're together. I'm not sure how Walt is going to take the week-long festivities of visiting family. The first weekend he'll be at home with the Johnston grandparents (while we're at my cousin's wedding events), but then after that he's just going to have to use all his two-month's worth of coping skills to enjoy himself. It worries me because we've been creating a routine for him and he likes his crib/nursery so much... but I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to be with family.

Speaking of which, yesterday we had lunch at my mother's. Walt was with his mother, his two grandmothers, and two of his great-grandmothers all at once. I didn't even realize that til my mother pointed it out to me after everyone had left. I lamented that we hadn't taken a picture, but Dave reminded me that he thinks it's better to miss a picture opportunity if it's because you're living in the moment. I completely agree, but I like to record things so much it's hard for me to let go sometimes. I think that's why I liked studying history so much.

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment