Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Discovery

When was the last time you remembered your hands? Maybe you thought about them a little more when you got a paper cut or burned yourself or read about Aimee Copeland needing them both amputated... but I think I usually take my hands for granted. And really, I am very grateful for my hands, both in their usefulness and their beauty. But I haven't spent the time or energy getting to know them for the past 27 years like I've watched my son discover his hands the last week or so. The energy it takes for him to move his hands where he wants them, to get his fingers to cooperate, to even release his tiny (yet fierce) grip... it's astounding to be reminded of what we have to go through to become the people we do.

When I taught preschool several years ago I realized I had forgotten all we have to learn, like how to put a jacket on a hanger or which scissor holes to finger combination is most effective. I am so happy to have the chance now to watch Walt learn all this stuff, the ways we are human, the things that separate us from everyone else. I get the front row seat on his amazing journey. I am along for his ride.

In this smile I discover all that is good in the world.

Dave is watching the World Series in the next room, and my ears hurt from the cheering that's apparent all the way across the country. I think every San Francisco fan at the game is going to have laryngitis and every Tiger's fan tinnitis. At least the Cards got knocked out!

No comments:

Post a Comment