Monday, October 1, 2012

Chronicles of Synchronicity



This weekend we learned about the magic of co-sleeping. Walt had a regular nighttime routine this weekend, going to bed at 10, waking up at 2am, 5am & 7:30am. Miraculous. I would take him outside and do our normal couch routine for the first two, then at 7:30 I would make Dave change his diaper, then pull him into bed with me and use the side-lying position to nurse him, causing us all to go back to sleep. Oh, it was so wonderful. The three of us could lie there and forget about time and alarm clocks (not that little man knows about that yet), and after a little while, Dave would put Walt on his chest and we would continue sleeping -- I'm just afraid he'll smother on my boob if we slept too hard in bed together.

Then there is the joy of co-bathing! Tonight the three of us took a bath together... it was really fun with naked baby, and he had a good time. I don't know why we're teaching him to splash the water, cause when he gets bigger our clothes and floor are not going to stay dry. 

It must be the six-week growth spurt, or at least I hope so, but today was a sad day for me nursing-wise. Luckily I pumped extra ounces earlier in the day (or would they have been in my boobs otherwise?) but tonight when he wanted his big dinner, he wouldn't even latch on at all and just kept crying. It was a first for us (besides figuring out breastfeeding in the very beginning). Dave fed him a bottle and I pumped what I could. I really was almost empty. Moms are always afraid they don't have enough milk for their babies, because you can't see what they eat, and now I too will add that to my list of worries. I guess I will just have to pump whenever he is done eating. Yet I always have my hands full, and I worry that if I wait too long after he eats to pump then there won't be enough for the next time he eats. I am praying my milk supply adjusts quickly to his needs. It is a helpless feeling otherwise.

Whew. I need to outsource my worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment