Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall Days

The beginning of fall always makes me nostalgic for the fall of 2008. I remember walking the streets of Midtown on my way to class, writing poetry, the beginning of my relationship with David... but it's not nostalgia in a sad sense. It just makes every fall after that feel the sweet remembrances of that time in my life...

I took Walter on a two mile walk today. Victory! He enjoyed the car seat (BOB stroller adapter) the whole time -- thank you pacifier! He was bundled up against the chill in the air and drifted in and out of sleep while I got some much needed exercise. I miss my walks. How are there not enough hours in the day to get everything done with him that I want? Even finding time to play on his playmat seems difficult. Good thing is, I never get bored with him.

I was walking around talking to Walt about what makes up a neighborhood - houses, lawns, people, dogs, streets, sidewalks, etc. - and thinking about living in a place where everyone knew each other. I've driven through small towns in north Georgia where older people out in their front yards will wave at you simply because you're driving by. They might be waving cause they know they don't know you. They might have so few people drive by that they take the time to wave to everyone. I'm not really sure. I just know that I love that small town feel.

Yet, it took about a year before I started getting to know the people who live around us (the very nice people who live around us!), and we live in a great neighborhood near downtown Atlanta. The type of city neighborhood where people do get to know one another. What is it about me that I initially like to fly solo when I see people out and about? Or is it just the era we live in now? Too many people too close together to get involved personally?

I was thinking about all these things when a woman and her kids stopped at the intersection Walt and I were waiting at. We chatted and passed up several lights before we continued down the street (a MARTA bus even stopped to let us on). She was carrying a Gap package she found on the side of the road to the address it was destined for. She had a 9 month old and a 9 year old. She told me about the neighborhood play groups, and we chatted about our pediatrician. She's a SAHM who works part-time from home too.

Have I found a new friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment