Thursday, July 26, 2012

Intersections

Sometimes there is just beauty in the world that hits you in a strange way. It's not your typical beauty, but it's something striking that sits there with you longer than you expect it to.

At the intersection of Ponce & Briarcliff, there is an older, African American gentleman who stands at the corner with a cane in biking shorts & a tshirt. He does not want money. He is just standing there. I'm not sure why; I've never spoken to him. But he is there a lot. Yesterday I saw him, backpack on, ready for the heat, looking at his watch and then contentedly remaining there. He's such a fixture that at one point Emory students made a street sign with a silhouette of a man with a cane.

Maybe one day I will ask him why he likes to spend his time hanging out on the corner of a busy intersection, or maybe I will just let him remain one of Atlanta's mysterious, interesting, and beautiful fixtures.

No comments:

Post a Comment