Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Bug Songs

Today is the last day I'll ever be 27. Am I officially in my late twenties already, or does it start tomorrow?

I love the sounds of summer. You can hear the heat, and in Georgia the bugs remind you it's almost August with their constant music... much better heard from inside, especially since they love to bite me. As a child I used to be covered in mosquito bites all summer long. Yesterday when I was weeding the garden, I used bug spray, and they managed to find the only spot I hadn't slathered myself: my forehead!

And delightfully I was reminded recently of the torture of bee stings (hadn't gotten one in 15 years or so). I'm not really sure how it happened, but I guess when I let my mother in the house the other day, a yellow jacket (and I'm a Yellow Jacket alumnus!) flew up my pant leg. I felt some tickling, smashed down my pant leg, felt a painful sensation, lifted up my pant leg and saw none other than Mr. Bee. My mother said she had never seen someone take off their pants so quickly! My reaction (giant red line and lots of swelling) makes me think I might be getting allergic in my old age. Hopefully I won't have to experience that again for another 15+ years to find out. I'll be middle aged at that point! Dave had to endure a wasp sting on his nose a few weeks ago. I'd say we should spray for bees around our house, but I don't know if it's just us or the lovely Southern summer we're having.

Happy Birthday to me, tomorrow!

  Besides the summer bug songs, this is my other favorite thing about Atlanta summers!

No comments:

Post a Comment