Sunday, June 24, 2012

Try as we might...

This weekend has certainly been a trying one, yet still wonderful at the same time.

Friday night I'm preparing to go to an art show with Jen$, and Dave goes to get the mail. We get a letter from Gifts from Grace, my OB practice, which we assume is a bill. Well, I wish it had been a bill. Turns out my midwife has "departed" from the practice very suddenly. It took me years to find her. I am 9 weeks away from my due date. Needless to say, I felt a little stressed. I'm still unsure what I'm going to do. I like the doctor with the practice well enough, but I'm just not sure we're as in tune as I was with Diane Tandy. Maybe she's practicing elsewhere now? I guess we'll see. I have an appointment on Tuesday.

Jen$ and I drive to the art show in Inman Park. As we're exiting the car, she locks her keys in the trunk. We share an "oh no" moment as the skies burst open with heavy rain drops. We're unsure exactly where the gallery is, so we stand underneath an awning for a minute, gathering our thoughts. Luckily, later in the evening, Jen$'s cousin and Dave come to the rescue. Meanwhile, we proceed to thoroughly enjoy ourselves looking at the art and going to Sauced for a bite of food after the show. I enjoyed running into an old friend that I hadn't seen in 8 or 9 years, a friend of my ceramics teacher at Marist. Boy do I miss making ceramics!

Yesterday Dave and I went to a friend's pool party, which was just wonderful, in celebration of my friend earning her PhD in Psychology! I miss studying psychology! I've really enjoyed getting to know Lisa and Gary, but the sad news of her graduating is that they might move to Pennsylvania in a couple months... I guess we'll see. She might have an offer here, at GaState, but that's where she got her degree and I've heard it's important to vary your affiliations with schools. The only stress on Saturday was that driving to the party, two people in a row ran stop signs and almost hit me and Dave. That and I spilled an entire drink on myself right before we left our house. Are my hands getting clumsy from the Relaxin coursing through my body? I love that the pregnancy hormone that relaxes your joints is called "Relaxin." What an appropriate name.

Off to church!

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. Johnston, did you every find out about where Diane Tandy went. She deliver my first baby 2 years ago and I am devastated that she is no longer there. We are trying for baby #2 and don't know what to do. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry, I don't know where she went. Gifts from Grace will not share the information except to say that the hospital informed them that she had to be let go. There is a Facebook thread that states someone talked to her and she was let go due to visiting her ill father in South Africa. If that is the reason, it is very disappointing to know such an amazing midwife is out of a job (and will have a hard time finding a new practice to work with). I am truly disgruntled that my first birth will not be with someone I am truly comfortable with. I looked around at many OBs/midwives in Atlanta (and I have for many years), and as of right now I'm sticking with Modugno. I really like North Fulton hospital despite the lack of Diane. Good luck with your second baby. I hope you find a practitioner you respect and can trust.

      Delete
  2. Mrs. Johnston, I can confirm that thread is correct, having talked directly to Diane.

    Diane is now at Lanier OBGYN in Gainesville, GA so pass on the word!
    I am now a manager for her Facebook "small business" page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diane-Tandy/39631059036

    ReplyDelete