Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fixing Stuff

The pressure washer was broken this weekend... and then Dave managed to fix it! The engine seized, and Dave, after 30 years of various experience, had the determination to take the engine apart and get it working again. That certainly would have been an unexpected cost of home improvement. I should shower him with gifts like the king he is...

What about the problems that seem to be never-ending in the US? Violence, a failing health care system, an awful education system, social injustices, a lack of insight into our energy consumption, privacy and independence being taken away daily, the dismissal of reading books, waning attention spans, meaningful connections being lost in Facebook, a thoroughly divided country on almost every political line... what else???

When will this engine seize? It cannot possibly continue forever at this pace. And how will we possibly get it started again when it does? I have no ideas how to fix a single broken piece. I almost can't stand to watch it anymore either.

The worldwide connections we have in 2012 were unfathomable 20 years ago. Instantaneous information, the inability to delay gratification, and a network so large we cannot possibly know it all. We wonder why we feel so alone in this world where everything is at the tips of our fingers. What do we prove when we continuously post pictures of ourselves and tweet our every thought? Maybe I want to stay in my world without hashtags and the evolving internet society.

An interesting TED talk on the subject: Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

I just don't think it's fun. It's a competition I don't want to win. I want to find genuine connection in real life, where people show up when they're supposed to. Where they respect and reciprocate. Where they care.


In other good news, our new carpet was apparently made out of clouds and heaven. 

Also, I am not sure when the baby in my stomach was replaced by a popcorn maker. What could he possibly be doing in there? Oh jeez, I hope I have enough energy for this kid when he comes out!


my favorite pregnant picture so far: at 22 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment