Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Postpartum

Now that the challenges of pregnancy and birth are over, we come to the postpartum period. And boy, do the challenges not let up! Mixed in with the joy of being able to look at and cuddle with your baby, there are difficulties. Such as, when do you sleep? When do you get chores done? When do you get over your husband having to go back to work? When do you leave the house? When do you call your friends back?

I have had an interesting physical recovery. A few days after I got home I found out I had a uterine infection. I developed a fever and what I thought was severe gas. I think it was actually my uterus contracting. This is a rare occurrence after short, vaginal deliveries.

Even though I've babysat for the last 15 years and am very comfortable with children 2 months and older, bringing home your very own newborn is, well, overwhelming. I was very anxious to leave the hospital, yet the first night we got home Dave and I had to call his mother to come over. Walt wasn't eating, he was getting upset, and he turned bright lobster red all over his whole body. Needless to say, we freaked out. Then later in the evening he had rust colored pee. I thought it looked like blood. Turns out that all these things we freaked out over are completely normal. As the pediatrician put it the next morning (after a sleepless night), all his organs are starting to function, and they're literally getting the rust out.

Breastfeeding.... well, not as easy as sticking the child on your boob and letting him get at it! I had several people helping me, and he and I still weren't figuring it out until I read The Nursing Mother's Companion and it told me exactly how to get a good latch AKA one that doesn't make you want to scream every time they suck! After that, I was able to heal and baby has spent the last week gaining close to a pound! He eats like a champion.

The sleeplessness is getting to both Dave and me. We try to let the other one sleep as much as we can, which works out better for him, I have to say, since I don't want to even try a bottle til one month. But, he is the one who has to go to work, so it's only fair. Nights so far have been mixed. Walt will be perfect some nights, only waking to poop and eat and go back to bed. Other nights we're not so lucky, and he fusses for a few hours when we'd certainly enjoy a little shut eye. Dave calls him a little Houdini because he magics his arms out of his swaddle constantly. We've lost track of what day it is. The other morning, when I couldn't handle it anymore and Dave took baby out into the living room to give me a sleep break, I actually hallucinated. I was talking to Dave in my sleep and worried that he was falling asleep with the baby in his arms. I feel very blessed that we have partner support during this time. And lots and lots of help from family and friends. A friend of mine characterized the first month - six weeks as survival mode. I have to agree, and it's only 1 1/2 weeks for us! It has led to some fun dreams though!

Funnily enough, sometimes, especially when I'm in bed, I still feel like I can feel Walt kicking around in my belly.

After all that, I have some good news: I can already fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes!


No comments:

Post a Comment